6 Essential Fall Cleaning Tips
The weather is cooler. The kids are back in school. Fall sports are back in full swing. Time to get a few essential items done around the house.
This will be similar to a Spring cleaning with a concentration on items that pertain to the cooler/colder weather. The best time to perform this cleaning is after Labor Day and before you start your Fall decorations.
My list can definitely be customized to your house and preferences. These are items that I have noticed over the years that most clients ignore or really do not think about.
1.The Fireplace. If you use it during the winter, it definitely needs to be cleaned and checked by a professional. If you do not use it, still have it checked by a professional and see what type of sealing options are available. This is done whenever the fireplace is not in use which most people do after the winter. This helps with drafts, AC loss in the summer and heat loss in the winter. SIDE NOTE: if you are having the fireplace/chimney cleaned, this is also a good time to get the dry vent line cleaned out as well. Most companies that clean the fireplace/chimney also clean out dryer vent lines
2. The Oven. Yes the oven. This is the best time to get it cleaned out, if it has been a few months since the last cleaning. This way you know the oven will be ready for all the holiday cooking and baking that will be taking place. You can also clean out the drawer below the oven (if you have one). It can also be removed to make it easier to clean underneath the oven.
3. Refrigerator/Freezer. Yes it can be done and this is the best time to get it done. Remove all those items that have expired. Find those storage containers you have been looking for as they have been sitting in the back of the freezer. Don’t forget to clean the top of the fridge as this is an area that no one seems to think about. If possible, I also recommend pulling your fridge away from the wall and cleaning behind it. If you have a water line connected, do be careful as you move the fridge to ensure you do not break this line. I refer to the top and back of the fridge as the “forgotten zones”!
4. Window Treatments. Take the drapes down and get them cleaned. Wash the curtains and sheers. Dust and clean shutters, blinds or shades. And this leads to the next item…
5. The Windows. Yes. If you are going to clean the window treatments, shouldn’t the windows be nice and shiny? The best way to get your screens, windows and sills clean is to have them pressure washed. However, there are products on the market that you can use specifically for exterior window cleaning.
6. The Floors. This is a great time to get the carpets cleaned, tile/marble floors, hardwood or laminate floors cleaned. You can take this task on yourself or hire a professional to get the job done. There are a lot of carpet cleaning companies on the market today that also clean tile, marble and laminate floors. Hardwood floors can be cleaned by a regular cleaning company, just ask when scheduling services if they clean hardwood floors.
I hope that you find the above list helpful in planning your Fall/Autumn cleaning. The best plan is a well thought plan that you schedule sooner than later!